|Second Walvis Bay resident badly burnt|
|Written by Floris Steenkamp|
|Wednesday, 27 June 2012 23:31|
An employee of Stainless Engineering based in Walvis Bay suffered severe burn injuries last Friday when one of the empty fuel compartments of a fuel tanker truck exploded at the company’s workshop as welding work was being carried out inside the tank.
Blue Hafuka has since been transferred to a Windhoek hospital with second degree burn injuries to both arms and legs, the Managing Director of Stainless Engineering, Gerrit van Wyk, confirmed. The incident follows only a day after a two year old boy was tragically killed in a house fire in Walvis Bay’s Narraville suburb.Van Wyk explained that all safety precautions had been adhered to, including rinsing the tank’s interior with a soap water mix three times and even cleaning adjacent fuel compartments to prevent fumes from leaking into the damaged compartment which could spark an explosion. The company also claims to have utilised electronic gas detection equipment which indicated the tank to be safe.In the absence of the findings of a formal report, it is now only suspected that as Hafuka started with welding work, a massive explosion occurred ripping his clothes from his body and inflicting serious burn injuries. The worker was fortunately wearing an oxygen mask at the time and this prevented him sustaining any facial burn injuries.
Meanwhile, a group of children from several pre-primary schools in Narraville conducted an informal wreath-laying ceremony on Monday morning to pay respects to two-year old, Keegan Herbert. The deceased boy’s maternal grandmother, Estelle Langenhoven, also sustained serious burn injuries while trying to rescue the baby from the inferno and is currently in a very serous yet stable condition in the burn unit of a Windhoek hospital.
|Last Updated on Wednesday, 27 June 2012 23:34|