|State House blocks e-fuel tender|
|Thursday, 10 February 2011 09:38|
A complaint to State House by one of the companies that bid for the lucrative e-fuel tender has allegedly led to the indefinite shelving of the project by the Tender Board.
The e-fuel tender was supposed to service a 3,000 strong Government fleet from 2011 to 2021.|
The company, DPF Energy and Minerals (PTY) Ltd linked to Swapo’s Veikko Nekundi, shortlisted as a possible winner together with PC Centre (PTY) Ltd, Navayuga Infotech Africa (PTY) Ltd and Namibia Automation Systems (NAS) allegedly wrote a letter to State House complaining about alleged irregularities in the selection process.
DPF Energy and Minerals (PTY) Ltd filmed the tender process at the Ministry of Works and submitted the material to State House which in turn asked the Tender Board to shelve the announcement of the tender winner.
Secretary to Cabinet, Frans Kapofi confirmed yesterday that they received the documents and video exhibits from DPF Energy and Minerals (PTY) Ltd about the tender process.
“I told Kahorongo (from State House) to go to George Simataa (PS Ministry of Works) to inform him about the complaints we received. He did meet him. I have no interest in blocking the tender. I only reacted on the complaints and alerted the relevant officials,” Kapofi told Informanté.
Eleven companies initially applied for the tender (A10/2-35/2010) floated by the Ministry of Works and Transport’s Government Garage last year.
The tender committee of the Ministry of Works then shortlisted four companies that scored more than 45 points (75%) points out of 60 points from their technical proposals.
The results were forwarded to the Ministry of Finance to open financial proposals for evaluation while the bids were sent to the Government Garage for a final decision.
DPF confirmed that they wrote a letter to State House because they wanted fairness to prevail.
“In fact, the video shows that NAS never even made it to the shortlist. I don’t blame them, because we are in the same boat, we just want fairness. The Administration of the Ministry of Works did wrong things and Namibia belongs to all of us,” they said.
“NAS will cost the Government N$570m over 10 years and their prize is not fixed, while our company will cost the government N$40m over 10 years and our prize is fixed. I challenged them on this. As far as I’m concerned the Ministry of Works is 100% corrupt,” DPF further said.
A close source said the bids had to be returned to the Ministry of Works twice after Kapofi, a Neville and Kahorongo from State House had allegedly threatened a Director in the Ministry of Works who collated the tenders.
“They threatened to take her to the Anti-Corruption Commission to be investigated on how the e-fuel tender was awarded to NAS,” the source said.
Although NAS received the lowest score from its technical proposal, it got 38 points out of 40 from its financial proposal thereby giving it a total of 84.7 while PC Centre came in second with 74.2 points, Navayuga got 58.8 and DBF last with 55 points.
Chairperson of the Ministerial Tender Committee and Permanent Secretary, George Simataa recommended to the Tender Board to award the e-fuel tender to NAS.
“It is recommended that Tender No. A10/2-35/2010 for the supply, management of e-fuel for the Government fleet for the period 1st January 2011 to 31st December 2021 be granted by the Tender Board of Namibia to Namibia Automation Systems,” a letter signed by Simataa said.
Kapofi said, “No instruction was given to interfere. Those who are spreading rumours just fear for nothing. There should be no concern or interference”.